KSA Scholarship recipients
(Back Row L-R): Samuel Baxter (guest speaker), Savannah Campbell (Elmira), Connor Goto-Carter (St. Mary’s), Terrell Piper (Elmira), Mikayla Carmichael (Cameron Heights), Courtney Higgins (St. Mary’s) and Bob Fedy (Chair of the KSA Scholarship Program). (Front Row L-R): Kristen Straus (St. David), Samantha Dilgert (Sir John A MacDonald) and Cassey Leader (Huron Heights)
At its monthly dinner meeting held on April 18, the Kitchener Sports Association (KSA) awarded scholarships to eight local student-athletes. Each receives $1,500 to help cover their expenses in attending college/university this fall. With these eight awards, KSA has now recognized 119 local students and provided a total of $186,000 in scholarship funding.
KW YBA to hold AGM in June
KSA, a not-for-profit group that raises money through the sale of 50/50 tickets at Kitchener Rangers and KW Titans home games for the benefit of local minor athletes and sports groups, recently made the following donations:
• KW International Children’s Games: Travel grant ($3,500 max/ total) for 14 athletes (three table tennis, four ROW swimmers, and seven basketball players (three boys and four girls) to participate in Kaunas, Lithuania in early July.
• Club KW Gymnastics: Travel grants ($250 each) for Jack Ditzend and Lukas Palubiski
• Stanley Park Optimist Ball: Capital grant ($2,500) for installation of two new backstops at Franklin Park and one at Midland Park for use by players aged 5 through 7.
• Ontario Curling Association: Athletic Excellence grant ($500) for the benefit of Matthew Hall. (Silver-place at the Canadian Junior Nationals in B.C.)
• Waterloo Regional Boxing Academy: Travel grants ($500 each) for Tatianna Antunes and Katelyn Vanderlaan to compete at the Canadians in Quebec City.
• Volunteer Action Committee: Grant of $1,525 in support of the Committee’s appreciation program during Volunteer Week.
• Waterloo Education Foundation: Hosting grant ($400) to help establish a “grass roots” basketball tournament for elementary school students.
After hosting the KW Athlete of the Year awards on May 16, KSA takes a break to enjoy some summer activities and gears up for its next dinner meeting on Tuesday, September 19. As always, you’re invited to join us!
Submitted by Kitchener Sports Association